Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Dustin Pedroia is My Hero

I would like people to think it's because he's a second baseman for the Red Sox that hits clean-up. Or maybe that he is a blue-collared, hard-working, tough player.

But I love Dustin Pedroia because of his height. Yes, his height.

Me, being as I am 5'6", admire overacheivers who happen to vertically challenged. Now Dustin Pedroia has been officially enshrined in my Hall of Fame (already inducted: Earl Boykins, Mugsey Boughes, the Notre Dame leprechaun, Darren Sproles and Trindon Holliday) with his new award, the American League MVP.

Pedroia, listed at 5'9", is no where near that height but rather closer to 5'7" or 5'8". And I like that. I like that he uses his entire body to catapult the ball wherever he pleases. I like how every night his jersey is dirty. I like his scruffy, billy goat beard.

And even though I don't completely agree with his selection (see one Francisco "K-Rod" Rodriguez), you can't tell me he hasn't worked hard enough for it. The pair of Kevin Youkilis and Dustin Pedroia in the Boston infield embody the city of Boston with their hard-working, lunch-pail attitude.

Pedroia's chuga-chuga, never say quit approach single-handedly won him this award, or at least more than his height.

No comments: